As you know, being in the ADF is just plain different! Being in the ADF means that certain things that happen in your off-duty life impacts your ADF career. For example, most lawyers would not realise that you may be entitled to a home purchase or sale allowance – but only if certain strict time limits are complied with. This could cost you thousands of dollars.
What about court appearances? Must they be reported to your chain of command? Again, not knowing this can have a serious impact on your career. A detailed knowledge of ADF entitlements and requirements is vital when providing legal advice to ADF members.
Dale Hooper has spent over thriteen years as a military lawyer. He knows how events like property transactions, relationship break ups and court appearances can impact on your service career and entitlements.
As part of our commitment to the ADF community, all current permanent ADF members receive:
- 10% discount on professional fees for all matters other than residential conveyancing; and
- $100.00 discount off professional fees for residential conveyancing matters (except conveyancing fees reimbursed under by HPSEA).
Further, the following groups will also receive a 10% discount on professional fees:
- Any current or retired ADF member who is the recipient of an award for valour, gallantry or courage;
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card holders; and
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs White Card holder whose injury or illness has been accepted by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs as being caused by war-like service
Current ADF members are provided with a limited level of legal aid and legal assistance by ADF permanent or reserve legal officers. The extent to which the Commonwealth will provide these services free of charge can vary. Therefore, ADF members are encouraged to make enquiries with their chain of command about whether their legal issue can be addressed by an ADF legal officer before contacting Brookwater Legal.